Friday, June 10, 2011

Burlington Trip

"The highest happiness on earth is marriage." ~William Lyon Phelps

Since David's new job started (and thus, our CRAZY new schedule of getting up at 4:45 every day), we haven't had as much quality time together as we would have liked. We are together in the evenings, of course, but there is so much to get done around the house on nights and weekends that sometimes we end up being physically together but not having "quality" time. We know how important quality time is for keeping our marriage strong, so we both took today off work to have a little time to spend together and relax.

So we headed to Alamance County for some random fun. We started at the (relatively) new Tanger Outlets in Mebane. We got there mid-morning before it got crowded, and so for a while we had just about the whole place to ourselves (although it was starting to get packed when we were leaving)! We had some gift cards to use, so David got a bunch of clothes and I got two dresses and some shoes. Great stores and great deals!



From there, we had lunch in downtown Burlington at Zack's Hot Dogs. For those of you who know Burlington, Zack's in an institution! It has been there for many years and I remember going there frequently growing up (my Dad is from Burlington, so we went there often when I was little to see my grandparents). David had never had Zack's and was anxious to go, and it was so worth the trip! It is very simple - limited lunch menu, cash-only, and they have the old-fashioned Southern hospitality. They also continue to have Coke and Cheerwine in the old-fashioned glass bottles. David enjoyed his Coke!





After lunch we hit more shopping areas. First, we went to Burlington Outlet Village and picked up a few more good deals. I got a cornucopia for $4.99 at a decorating outlet. Everyone knows how I love celebrating different holidays and seasons, and I've been wanting one forever to fill with gourds and vegetables during the fall...



We finished our shopping at Holly Hill Mall, where there was an indoor car show going on! And added bonus!





We finished up our trip by stopping by Alamance Memorial Park to put new flowers on my brother and my grandparents graves. I used red, white, and blue flowers for my grandparents, since 4th of July is coming up and my grandfather was a WWII veteran. It's great to be able to honor them in this way!





I had a wonderful day with my hubby and am so thankful for these times together!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you have an older brother in Heaven Lisa- I like the name your parents chose for him. It's great that you and David will get to meet him one day! I wonder if Jonathan will be "grown up" or still a baby? I often think about my sister's first baby(Mia)who went to Heaven at 20 weeks- we each held her tiny, perfectly formed little body in the hospital; sometimes it is so hard to be here on earth and apart from the ones we love, and I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a fully grown baby, one of my girls, or my sister.

    ReplyDelete