Monday, August 9, 2010

Missing my love

"And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation." -Khalil Gibran

For those of you familiar with the concept of "The Five Love Languages" you know that quality time is one of those languages. For David, in fact, it's his #1 love language and for me it's a close 2nd to "words of affirmation." Long story short, we like to be together. A lot. All the time, if possible. We don't do well being away from each other and feel like we are just "not right" without the other half. So it's no surprise that, in almost 10 months of marriage, we've managed to arrange things to where we only had to spend the night apart one time (the night before Heather's wedding...and that was fine because we knew we'd see each other the next day).

But this morning, David had to leave for a 5-day, 4-night business trip to Flat Rock, NC (which is near Hendersonville). Him leaving this morning was terrible for both of us! We were both so sad and were almost never able to get in the car and go. I took this picture right before breakfast to capture the sadness...


At least there were a few little things that make the trip more tolerable. For starters, I packed my Sweetie a few pieces of homemade pound cake that I made this past weekend. That way I at least know he has a little something to snack on.


I was also able to sneak a little "I miss you" card into his suitcase for him to open when he got to his hotel. And I was so happy and surprised this evening after work when I discovered that David had written me a full letter telling me how much he loved and missed me! What an amazing husband!!!


One more thing we found helpful to do...we gave each other a piece of clothing we'd recently worn so that we could sleep with it at night (it has that sweet smell of each other that helps us feel happy and comfortable). David took a shirt that I had been sleeping in this week, and I kept one of his shirts that he'd worn one day last week. If we can't sleep next to each other, at least we can sleep with something that smells like each other. That makes me smile! :-)

I miss my Sweetie and am counting the hours until he gets back home Friday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment