Sunday, July 11, 2010

Our Weekend

"If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday." -Pearl Buck

On Saturday, David and I decided to make a day trip just down the road to Burlington. My father grew up in Burlington and most of my extended family members on his side still live in Alamance County. I used to go all the time growing up, but don't get there nearly as much since my grandparents passed away.

On the way, we went through the small town of Gibsonville, right on the Guilford/Alamance County line. That's where David was living when I met him and we like to go back there from time to time. We started by going to the pretty rural subdivision that David used to live in. I have such good memories of his house there from hanging out with him there during our dating days, and I made sure I took a good picture of his old house when we rode by there this time. I'm sure the new owners are loving it there!


From there, we went into downtown Gibsonville. We had fun walking around and eating a yummy lunch at the downtown Bistro.




After Gibsonville, we headed into Burlington and to the Glencoe area, which is an old restored textile mill village (houses built in the mid-late 1800s) in the northern part of town. You can see the old mill itself, and the area also houses the NC Textile Heritage Museum. It is the second time that David and I have been to the museum and the village and we love it. Almost all of my Alamance relatives were textile workers, and so it has a special meaning for me to learn a little more about my heritage.








We ended our trip by going to the Alamance County Historical Museum, housed in the old Holt Mansion (a textile tycoon of the Alamance County area). It was full of amazing antiques and I could have spent all day there...


We had a fun Sunday as well, full of church, hanging out with each other, and finished off by watermelon (what could be better in the summer?)...




We also saw my parents Sunday night, and apparently the stress of the hot weekend had gotten to them...


On a more serious note, David and I were discussing after church today what we really want out of life (we of course already know what each other wants, but we just like to talk about our hopes and dreams). Today we were talking about the fact that, all we really want out of life is to live our lives knowing that our priorities are in order...God first, then our marriage, then our family, then everything else. When we really think about this, we realize how fortunate we are to be able to daily live our dream and serve a magnificent God, have a happy and fulfilling marriage, look forward to at some point (God willing) have children of our own, have amazing parents on both side (and other family members), and have fantastic friends. No amount of work or money could buy that. How blessed we are!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment