Friday, July 23, 2010

Help for Haiti

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." -Matthew 25:35-40

Tonight, David and I participated in a Haiti "pack-a-thon" at our church. Westover partnered with Calvary Christian Center, a historically African American church here in Greensboro. The event had two purposes, one being of course to pack food for Haiti, and the other to promote unity in the Christian community across racial lines. Two Christian organizations, Feed My Starving Children and Feed the Hunger helped organize the event. We absolutely had a fantastic time and made some really awesome new friends from Calvary Christian Center.

There were 163 people from Westover and Calvary Christian Center packing food tonight in Westover's gym. There were multiple stations set up and each person had a certain job at their station. Each bag packed provides a nutritious meal mix for a hungry individual in Haiti and helps open the door for Christian organizations to share the Gospel with them.

At our station, David helped hold the bags that the mix was funneled into. He had a little helper named Lauren from Calvary Christian, and she was great!

David helps funnel a bag...


And then Lauren takes her turn...


My job was to weigh each individual bag to make sure it had enough meal mix ("Manna") in it...don't you just love our hair nets???


In the end, after two hours of packing, 196 people packed over 31,000 meals. Enough to feed 96 Haitian children for a solid year! So rewarding!


And we got to sample the cooked Manna afterwards...pretty tasty!


Love...in hair nets...


What a great way to start the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment