Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mountain Trip, Jewish Festival, and Mimi's Birthday

"It is, I believe, the greatest generation any society has ever produced." -Tom Brokaw in The Greatest Generation

Weekend before last we had another weekend full of fun! On Saturday, we went to the mountains with our very good friends from our Young Marrieds Bible Fellowship Group, Brian and Marsha, to get some fresh produce and look at leaves. We started by going to some produce stands on the other side of Mount Airy, and by eating lunch at the locally famous "Hungry Farmer" restaurant...









We also bought some baked goods...



Which I promptly got into...



We even got a picture of my fellow "city girl," Marsha, on a straw tractor. Marsha, we are NOT letting our men turn us into country women! Stay strong! ;-)



My camera died after this picture, so I couldn't document the rest of the day. But we rode the Blue Ridge parkway all the way over to Boone and did some shopping in that area. Thanks, Marsha and Brian, for taking us along!

The next day, after church, we went to the Jewish Festival at the Synagogue here in Greensboro. While we are 100% confident in our faith as absolute truth, it is always interesting to learn about other faiths and cultures. We didn't stay too long, but it was fun to walk around and get a look at some cool stuff...







That evening, David and I went to dinner with my family (parents, grandparents, and uncle) to Harpers Restaurant in Greensboro to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday! WOW! Amazing to think of all she has seen in her lifetime - the Great Depression as a little girl in West Virginia, and then WWII and many many other events since she married my grandfather right after the war and moved to NC. She spent many many years being that very iconic "1950s housewife" and being amazing at the job, a thing that I always thought was so cool about her (you know me, being Mrs. Traditional - I love it!). We had a wonderful time celebrating the life of this lady who was part of "the greatest generation." We love you Mimi!











Thanks to my mother for getting the cake and my sweet hubby for finding the restaurant manager to write on it. What a special birthday for Mimi!

No comments:

Post a Comment