Sunday, July 24, 2011

Christmas in July Part I - The Idea and The Preparations

"Perhaps the best Yuletide decoration is being wreathed in smiles." -Author Unknown

A lot of you have been very curious about the Christmas in July celebration David and I have been talking about over Facebook this past week. I told David this post will have our largest readership ever (maybe up to 3-4 people lol) because everyone is curious as to just how nutty we are!!!

A lot of us have heard about Christmas in July celebrations, mainly just an excuse for people to party during the long, more holiday-devoid summer months. But we had never decided to take part in a celebration until this year. Several weeks ago we found out that one of our favorite local places to eat, Tex & Shirley's (http://www.texandshirleys.com/) was having a Christmas in July celebration today, December 24th. Well, you know how I LOVE celebrations, so I just had to go along. And the plans grew, and grew, and grew.

So, what did we do exactly? Well, the fun started LAST weekend when my not-easily embarrassed husband INSISTED that we decorate a full WEEK before Christmas in July. I hated to drag down one of our full-sized fake trees, BUT we were in luck. Last Saturday morning we found a 36" incandescent tree that worked perfectly on sale for $1. So we took it home and got to decorating. We moved the lamp from one of our end tables in the living room and replaced it with this tree. David insisted on wearing his Santa hat while decorating, and once the tree was decorated we added seashells around the base to tie in the summer theme. Yes, we lit it up, and yes, everyone going down our street this whole week could see it. haha!









We even added our new pickle ornament to it...



We added some more inside decorations, including some more seashells...





Have you ever seen Rudolph in a bikini? You have now!



The funniest part was when it came time to hang the wreath on the front door. Yes, I'm serious. My husband, in his Santa hat, t-shirt, and shorts stood on our front porch and hung out Christmas wreath (I later added seashells to it). Then he wore the hat while he used the leaf blower to blow off our porch, AND he stood in our yard and waved, saying "Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas!" at the top of his lungs to cars that went by. In the middle of July. Mind you, I DID NOT tell him to do this, he came up with this extremism on his own. One minivan literally almost had a wreck watching him from the road (I think the driver was trying to figure out if he was hallucinating). What a nut. I've never laughed so hard! Everyone please remember we live in the middle of the city, so there were plenty of neighbors around to see this, lol.











Later this past week, I told some of my coworkers about our funny celebration. So Carla, the wife of my coworker Benton, made us a Christmas In July box. HILARIOUS!!! It has a picture of a snowman in a bikini on top of it. Inside was a modified Christmas in July card, a mini stocking, and a sweet Christmas ornament, which on the back said "Christmas in July 2011, Love, The Neeses." HAHA! We have our first official Christmas in July ornament! Thanks y'all!!!







My parents put up their little tree, too. I guess they are just as nutty as us. So, here you have our preparations. Keep reading our next two posts - "Christmas in July Part II:'Christmas Eve' Activities" and "Christmas in July Part III: The Big Day!" to see the rest of our celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment