Friday, November 18, 2011

Christmas Balls

Art: The little lights... they aren't twinkling.
Clark: I know, Art. Thanks for noticing.
-Christmas Vacation


If you live in Greensboro, then you will know right away what is meant by the term "Christmas Balls." If you don't live here, you are probably scared to ask. Lighted Christmas Balls are decorations that are purely a Greensboro creation. Legend has it that they started as the art project of a Greensboro lady. However they came about, the are super popular now, especially in the neighborhoods in our part of town. You can read all about them here. http://lightedchristmasballs.blogspot.com/ So anyway, we made some finally! As did my parents.

We had agreed with my parents that if we helped hang theirs, they would help hang ours. So last Saturday afternoon we went over to their house and got busy on the project. I was the photographer while my husband and parents worked diligently. We had made the balls the weekend before, so this was just time for hanging. They can be kind of a pain to make, and there isn't really room on here to go into it, but if you want to know how you can always ask me.

At this point, they are just beginning to figure out which ones to hang on the trees down near the road at the edge of their yard...



It's hard to see from so far away, but at this point that have gotten one of the small balls up. It took a really long time to hang these, since this was the first time we had done it.



Here, my mother is preparing another one while the next in line lays in the gutter...





My grandfather (who lives next door to my parents) came out to see how things were going...



And he got a good laugh...



In this picture everyone is trying to figure out the best way to do this...



My Dad and David took turns throwing the stuff up into the trees...





I think my grandfather had seen enough at this point...



There was, in general, just a lot of thinking and action required..





I am so sad, because by the time we got over to our house to start hanging our balls it was getting dark! We got it done, but it didn't really give me the opportunity to take any pictures except for a few very blurry ones. :(









After Thanksgiving we will start lighting the balls up and I will try to take some pictures of the finished product then. So much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment