Thursday, July 12, 2012

Why I'm Going To Be a Stay-At-Home Mom, Part 5

Today’s post is going to be simple, short, and sweet, with just one reason to offer today as to why I’m going to be a stay-at-home mom…


It’s good for your marriage!

Before I get too far into this, I know there are going to be a host of you who disagree thoroughly with this idea. That’s okay. What I should say is, it’s good for OUR marriage.

As I have explained in several of these past posts, being a working wife has been a struggle for me in many ways. Now I WILL preface this by saying that I enjoy domestic work more than a lot of women (we will get into that in one of my future posts in this series about homemaking being fulfilling), but I have a hard time doing the quality of domestic work (housekeeping, decorating, cooking, etc) that I want when I am away from home over 40 hours a week. Because I believe my primary priority (after being a servant of the Lord) is to be a godly wife to David (and thus a “suitable helper” to him as Genesis would say), I have had a hard time feeling like I accomplish this role well as a working woman. I want to be able to cook him consistently nutritious meals. Bless his heart, he raves about my Hamburger Helper and my countless marinated chicken dishes made from store-bought marinate packets, but that’s no way to eat day in and day out! I want to be able to make, at least on occasion, delicious from-scratch dishes using fresh, healthy ingredients. I want to be able to not just decorate our home but decorate it seasonally (another post will mention my obsessive affinity for fall décor). There are so many other things. I want to make our house a welcome little haven for our family and others that come into our home. I want to provide David with a home where he can get away from his worries at the end of the word day, not come home to more worries of clutter and mess. I just don’t have time to do it in the way I want to do it while I’m working!

David does a wonderful job of appreciating me, but I see in his eyes how much he enjoys a good meal, a clean house. I see how much it helps him when I am able to make phone calls for him or meet the plumber at our house if we have a leak so that he can go on to work. Imagine how much more I could take off of his plate if I were at home full time! Not only that, but being at home and taking care of the household duties leaves my mind more free for other things – like ways to surprise David or things we can do to enrich our marriage.

I believe that David being a good provider is one of the greatest gifts I he could give me, and me being the maker of a beautiful home and a helpful wife is one of the greatest gifts I could give him, whether we have kids at home or not. I love that concept. :-)

“There is no spectacle on earth more appealing than that of a beautiful woman in the act of cooking dinner for someone she loves.” –Thomas Wolfe


“Men do better when they’re taken care of by a good woman. That’s just a fact of nature.” -Laura Schlessinger

You can read my other posts from this series here:

Part 4: http://www.onefleshonelove.blogspot.com/2012/07/why-im-going-to-be-stay-at-home-mom_11.html

Part 3: http://www.onefleshonelove.blogspot.com/2012/07/why-im-going-to-be-stay-at-home-mom_10.html

Part 2: http://www.onefleshonelove.blogspot.com/2012/07/why-im-going-to-be-stay-at-home-mom_09.html

Part 1: http://www.onefleshonelove.blogspot.com/2012/07/why-im-going-to-be-stay-at-home-mom.html

No comments:

Post a Comment